Hi, this is Poopa Dweck from poopadweck.com and I am asking you to please join me in helping Masbia feed the hungry. Masbia is a network of Kosher soup kitchens that serves 2 million meals a year to hungry men, women and children. Masbia needs our help to continue to feed those less fortunate. Donate now and with your tax deductible receipt Masbia will include a collection of 50 Tzimmes recipes from some of the best known names in Jewish cooking, including my own. That’s for any donation, and every donation counts!
Carrot Honey - Pomegranate Tzimmes
- 2 pounds carrots, 6 -8 medium or 4 large carrots cut into ½-inch chunks
- 3 pounds choice of rutabaga, turnips, parsnips peeled and chopped
- 3 medium onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy vegetable butter
- 1 pound dried cranberries or raisins
- I cup pomegranate juice
- ½ cuplemonjuice
- ½ cuphoney
- ½ cuppackeddarkbrownsugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoonkoshersalt
- Fresh pomegranate for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350° 2. Coat a 13-inch x 9-inch baking dish with non-dairy 1 tablespoon vegetable butter. 3. Place cranberries or raisins, carrots, choice of rutabaga, turnips, parsnips and onions in baking dish. 4. In a small bowl whisk pomegranate juice, lemon juice, honey, ½ cup water; pour over vegetables. 5. Sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon, and salt. 6. Cover inner part of baking dish with folded parchment paper (optional). 7. Completely cover baking dish and bake 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; using a small spoon in order to not bruise vegetables marinate the tzimmes with the sauce; dot with remaining 1 tablespoon of vegetable butter and bake another 30 minutes or until caramelized. 8. Garnish with pomegranate seeds.